Rules To Live By (Especially If You Enter the Game at the Beginning)
We stand here together upon the empty stage whereon the Hundred Years War shall unfold. Each of us has a part to play; each will have a hand in creating this new legend.
There are several things you should do to increase your enjoyment of the Hundred Years War (HYW).
1. Get involved with the in-game messages, especially in the message groups that only players of your nationality are allowed in. Ask for something to do and ask questions if you don't understand what to do. This will get you off to a quick start. Reading these online docs will give you a deeper understanding of the game.
2. If you come in a game at the very beginning, you often get a chance to select the position you want. Post your choice in a message to ALL. If you would like the challenge of being King or Crown Prince, volunteer by posting that to ALL. The Heralds select the "royals" from among the volunteers. When the King is chosen, swear fealty in a message to ALL.
3. Check the messages in the game. This is were we will post announcements of dueling tourneys, special RTCs, King's Court, new game features, etc.
4. Use the messaging system to help you seek out spouses, plan strategy , gain advice on managing your fiefs, analyze the potentials of NPCs, vent your spleen at overweening neighbors, petition the Pope, announce marriages and births and deaths, etc.
5. Get to know the menu options on the Main Game Menu. Your Parliament is located in the Official Acts section and you will be periodically asked to vote on issues.
6. Ask as many questions as you like...the Heralds are here to help you. There are many activities we can suggest to increase your enjoyment of the HYW, including ways to play HYW on a low cost basis.
7. Start managing your fiefs right away. This is so important that we will put all sorts of vital information right here so you can get right to it. Click on the item in the first sentence of this section for more details.
8. Pay close attention to the map that's built into the GFE. It's important to get a sense of where you, and your fiefs, are, as well as those for your allies and enemies.
9. Get to know your King and Crown Prince. Volunteer for a Court Position. There are many Court Positions available in all fields including Military Strategy, Diplomacy, Courier, Scouts, Marriage Broker, etc. Organization is essential for victory and it depends upon us all working together. Also get to know who your Overlord is and who your neighbors are. In times of need they will be your first line of defense.
10. Think about who your Player Character is...imagine him in the midst of the rich tapestry and colors of the 14th Century. Make your persona come alive with all the strengths and vanities of this chivalrous era.
We know this may all seem a bit overwhelming at first but it is quickly learned and you will soon find yourself cutting a swath through Medieval Europe.
Bon chance, mes amis! (most French and English nobles used French as their principal language, at least at the start of the war).